– It’s Time to Sleep
– Little Blue Truck
– Big Red Barn
– Goodnight Moon
– Are You a Cow? (S in general likes Sandra Boynton books, though they sometimes drive Ezra and I crazy with how nonsensical they are)
– Any by Caroline Jayne Church – all her illustrations, but S especially loves I Love You Through and Through and Ten Tiny Toes (and any of her song ones).
– First 1,000 Words in Spanish
– books by Dianna Aston
– books published by Global Fund for Children
– The Ink Garden of Brother Theophane
– Poke-a-Dot Goodnight Animals
– almost anything by Ezra Jack Keats, but Clementina’s Cactus is our favorite
– S has really enjoyed the Rookie Toddler series – interactive/educational
For New Big Siblings
– Hello Baby
– I’m a Big Sister (Joanna Cole)
– When You Were Inside Mommy (Joanna Cole)
– In the Womb (National Geographic)
– Don’t Eat the Baby
– Peter’s Chair (Ezra Jack Keats)
We have yet to find a potty training one we actually like, but “Diapers Are Not Forever” was the least painful one we’ve found.
In general, we like books that teach something, even if it’s just animals and animal sounds like Big Red Barn and Little Blue Truck… but S also loves the ones that don’t really, like Corduroy and Sandra Boynton’s.
We like having books that have body parts, counting, animals, colors, shapes, alphabet, etc. so she’s getting exposed to that while we read to her. We also tend to read her anything she asks for, even if we have to paraphrase to get through the page, but as she gets older we are reading more and more what it says, even with slightly longer books like Clown of God (Tomie de Paola).